The l00 seat IndyFringe Basile Theatre and 70 seat IndyEleven Theatre serve as a low cost rehearsal and performance spaces in a city which has very few such amenities. The theatre offers a year round eclectic mix of emerging artists, new plays, established theatre groups, returning Fringe performers and community events which continually change and attract a diverse audience. The theatre is one of the five theatres and eight stages on Massachussets Avenue which host the annual IndyFringe festival. In the seven years since the IndyFringe Theatre began operating in addition to the festival, tens of thousands of people have attended shows or events. The theatre has hosted hundreds of productions and events including plays, spoken world, art exhibitions, community meetings and fundraising events.
IndyFringe has hepled numerous emerging companies including Intimate Opera Company, PaperStrangers, NoExit Performance, Half/Black Productions, Avenging Orange, No Holds Bard, Funny About That, T.I.F.F. Productions and more! The Fringe has helped expand the number of artistic voices contributing to Indianapolis culture and community. The theatre provides them with a home to develop their craft any time of the year.
- Wisdom Tooth Theatre Company - Our resident theatre company who does a full season of shows in the IndyFringe Basile Theatre.
- Jabberwocky, Storytelling Arts of Indiana - monthly gathering of regular people who share their collective memories. Topics include enduring love stories, random acts of kindness and food. Further collaborations within Jabberwocky include car stories with Big Car Gallery, a visual arts group and books with Travis Di Nicola of Indy Reads, an organization which works to improve the literacy skills of adults. FREE event.
- Ten Minute Play Festival in partnership with Indiana Writers Center.
- Annual Winter Magic Festival brings together the top magicians from around the US. Indianapolis is becoming a center for magic.
NEW PLAY DEVELOPMENT: For more details contact Pauline : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spring 2016 will mark the seventh annual juried DivaFest – A Celebration of Women Playwrights where playwrights can take their play from ‘page to stage’. Only l7% of all works on American stages are by women. The long range goal is to make Indianapolis a center for developing women playwrights.
- The Fifth Annual OnyxFest will be held in 2015. Date to be advised. As Indianapolis' first and only theatre festival dedicated to the stories of African American playwrights, OnyxFest was developed in response to the lack of diversity on stage and in audiences of Indianapolis' theatres.